Today’s Sunday dinner: pasta with my version of a simple meat sauce 😋 You can use whatever type of pasta you like, but in my case today I used two kinds of tagliatelle—one with plain egg, and the other with spinach.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
500 g ground meat
2 tablespoons fish sauce
pinch of freshly ground black pepper
125 g button mushrooms, sliced
800 ml chopped tomatoes
125 ml tomato puree
60 ml water
25 g parmesan cheese, grated
1 teaspoon herbs d’Provence (alternatively, use rosemary)
pinch of paprika (optional)
2 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons ketchup (or as desired)
2 teaspoons sugar (if using canned tomatoes)
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion turns glassy.
- Stir in the ground meat; season mixture with the fish sauce and black pepper, and let the meat brown a little.
- Stir in the mushrooms and let cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. Add the water if the sauce seems too thick, otherwise, skip it.
- Mix in the parmesan cheese and let it melt into the sauce before adding the herbs and spices. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the milk. TASTE. Add the ketchup if the sauce ended up being bland.
- Lastly, stir in the sugar, if you used canned tomatoes. Otherwise, just let simmer for about another 10-15 minutes.