Panang curry with chicken, peanuts and pineapple
1 tbsp cooking oil (sunflower or rap seed will do)
1 red onion, chopped
1-2 tbsp Panang curry paste
2 1/2 dl cocunut milk
500 g chicken breast, sliced into small pieces
4-6 kaffir lime leaves
1/2 dl coconut cream
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp fine brown sugar
80 g unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped
15 g Thai basil
80 g fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
1 cucumber, sliced
- Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan. Saute the onion together with the curry paste for around 2 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken pieces and the kaffir lime leaves. Lower the heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, take the chicken out and let the remaining sauce simmer for a further 5 minutes, or until it has reduced or turned a little thicker in consistency.
- Put the chicken pieces back into the wok. Stir in the coconut cream, fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar. Let everything simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Finally, add the peanuts, pineapple and basil. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
Serve with Jasmine rice, or as depicted, on a bed of Hokkien noodles garnished on top with slices of cucumber 😋