Yet another of my favorite Filipino sweets 😋
500 g glutinous (malagkit) rice
1 L water
200-250 g brown sugar
200-250 ml coconut milk
- Wash and drain the rice. Place in a pan, add the water, and cook for 15-20 minutes (alternatively, you can use a rice-cooker).
- In a saucepan, combine 140 g of the brown sugar with the coconut milk. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
- After the rice has cooked, while still very hot, mix in the remaining brown sugar.
- Reserve about half a cup of the coconut mixture, then add the rest to the rice. Mix thoroughly.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Meanwhile, line the bottom of a baking pan with banana leaves (or baking paper).
- Place the bibingka «batter» into the prepared baking pan. Top with the reserved coconut mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then grill for a further 5 minutes.
Makes about 18 squares.