It’s been ages since I baked one of these, but Amaretto cake is definitely one of my favorite «simple» cakes… I’d love to bake it again, if we didn’t have a toddler who has a sweet tooth like us (as we all know, toddlers and alcohol don’t mix). Perhaps in a few years’ time, when our little tot is a bit bigger 😋
100 g butter
150 g sugar
2 tsp vanilla sugar
1 ml almond extract
pinch of salt
75 g instant vanilla pudding mix (optional)
150 g plain flour
50 g corn flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp Amaretto liqueur
slivered almonds, toasted
- Preaheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a deep 20 cm (8 inch) ring mould.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, gradually adding the sugars, and then blend in the almond extract and the amaretto liqueur.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, making sure they are incorporated into the butter mixture.
- Sift together the flours, vanilla pudding mix (if using), baking powder, and salt. Fold into the egg mixture a little at a time, mixing thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin and bake immediately in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is still warm, poke some holes on the bottom surface. Drizzle with about 2/3 of the Amaretto glaze, making sure the glaze fills the holes and goes into the cake. Let cool for at least 2 hours before removing from the baking tin.
- Brush the top surface with the remaining 1/3 of the Amaretto glaze, then sprinkle with the toasted almonds to decorate.
125 ml amaretto liqueur
120 g icing sugar
- Sift the icing sugar and combine it with the amaretto. You may do this in a pan over very low heat.