In celebration of the hubby’s 50+ birthday, I baked these cupcakes last week. The original recipe from Gimme Some Oven is almost perfect, except that I found the frosting too sweet… So, I made a few tweaks of my own 😋
Nutella-filled mocha cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
125 g unsalted butter, softened
340 g granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
172 g all-purpose flour
57 g dark chocolate (or unsweetened) cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
125 ml buttermilk
125 ml coffee, lukewarm
1 x 350 g jar Nutella (you would not be using the whole jar though)
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then add the vanilla extract. Beat again until well-blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt) until well-blended.
- In another separate bowl, combine the buttermilk with the coffee.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter alternately with the coffee-buttermilk mixture, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Line baking pans with 24 baking paper cups (or muffin forms). Fill each cup 2/3 full with batter. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pans before removing onto wire racks to cool completely.
250 g unsalted butter, room temperature
250 ml Nutella
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp instant coffee powder (I used instant espresso powder)
50-70 g powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
pinch of salt (optional)
2-4 tbsp heavy cream
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and Nutella together at medium speed until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract until well-blended with the Nutella-butter mixture.
- Add the cocoa and coffee powder into the mixture, then beat until well-combined.
- Reduce the speed to «low», then gradually add the powdered sugar until well-blended into the mixture. (Taste after each addition, to check if the mixture is sweet enough. Stop adding sugar when you have reached the desired sweetness)
- Add the salt if the mixture has become too sweet.
- Gradually add the cream until you have reached the desired consistency, then increase the mixing speed to «high» and continue beating for about another minute.
- Spoon the buttercream frosting into piping bags (if using immediately), or store in tightly sealed containers for later use.
- When the cupcakes have sufficiently cooled down, scoop out a small portion (about 1 teaspoon) from the middle of each cupcake. Fill the resulting holes with Nutella, then re-seal by replacing the scooped-out portion on top.
- Frost each cupcake with the prepared buttercream. You can use a piping bag, or you can simply spread the buttercream on top—works either way 😉